Skip the standard hot chocolate drink mix and get ready to make your own decadent hot chocolate bombs filled with sweet, fluffy marshmallows.
What are hot chocolate bombs?
Hot chocolate bombs are hollow, chocolate balls filled with hot cocoa mix and marshmallows. They are often topped with drizzled chocolate, candy, or sprinkles. Place them in a mug and pour hot, steamy milk on the top to watch them burst open. All of the cocoa mix and marshmallows will be released into your mug!
If you haven’t seen these in the stores near you (ahem, Costco) or you can’t seem to find them anywhere, I’m going to show you how to make your own!
Pretty soon you won’t need to know the answer to the question where can I find hot cocoa bombs because you’ll be enjoying your own tasty homemade version!
There's already something special about holding a cup of warm hot chocolate on a cold day. But making it with these hot chocolate bombs is a fun way to enjoy your drink.
These are perfect for celebrating the holiday season or just a good reason to indulge in a warm chocolate cup of goodness.
They also make excellent gifts for coworkers, neighbors, friends and family.
What You Need To Make Hot Chocolate Bombs With Marshmallows
Giant muffin cups
Semi sphere silicone mold- we need the silicone molds because they are non stick and flexible. It will be easy to release the chocolate from.
Small Piping bags or ziploc baggies
Hot Plate or Frying Pan
1 cup good quality chocolate - I used milk chocolate chips for these, but you could use melting wafers or even baking chocolate.
Cocoa mix of your choice
Sprinkles or crushed candies
Marshmallows (large cut in half or mini)
How to make hot chocolate bombs
Before we even get started with any chocolate you’ll want to place a plate in the freezer. Freezing a plate will help make sure your cocoa bombs don't melt once you unmold them later on.
Grab your microwavable bowl and melt your chocolate in the microwave for 45 seconds. Take it out and check to see if it’s beginning to melt by sticking a spoon in it.
Continue to melt your chocolate in 30-second intervals because chocolate can burn quickly.
Once it’s almost completely melted, stir it so there are no lumps, and it’s nice and smooth.
Get your silicone mold and a new, clean spoon. Place a dollop of hot chocolate (about 1 tablespoon) into the mold and cover the cavity completely with the back of the spoon.
Repeat 5 more times until your entire mold is filled. Be sure to wipe away any excess chocolate on the mold. This is what your mold should look like when you're done.
Place in the freezer for 10-15 minutes.
While you're waiting on that set out the contents you will be putting inside the chocolate bombs, like mini marshmallows and cocoa mix.
Remove your plate and the silicone mold with the chocolate from the freezer.
Remove the half spheres from the silicone mold carefully and put them on the cold plate. This will keep them from melting too quickly.
Body heat does melt chocolate so try to handle them carefully or even wear gloves when removing them.
Try tugging around the sides of the mold to loosen the chocolate. Push the chocolate up from the bottom of the mold.
Pick the 3 spheres that look the sturdiest and put the hot cocoa mix and marshmallows inside those. You can divide the cocoa packet between the 3 balls.
Now it’s time to connect the other half of the sphere to make a complete hot chocolate bomb!
There are 3 ways to do this:
- Use a frying pan. Heat the frying pan and remove it from the heat. While the pan is still hot, carefully melt the rim of the sphere and immediately attach it to one of the bottom halves.
- Hot plate method: Boil a large pot of hot water and add a small plate to it. The plate will hold the heat without the risk of burning yourself. Safely remove the hot plate from the water using tongs. Use the hot plate to melt the rim of one of the spheres. Be sure to dry the plate fully before using it, as water seizes chocolate.
- Pipe melted chocolate: Use leftover melted chocolate. Add to a piping bag or small ziploc bag. Cut a small hole at the end of the piping bag (or one corner of the ziploc bag). Squeeze chocolate around the rim of the bottom sphere and simply place the other sphere on top. Using your finger, smooth the chocolate out. You can leave it as is or add sprinkles or crushed candies for more decoration!
Now you're ready to decorate your hot chocolate bombs. You can do a piping design with leftover chocolate, sprinkles, crushed candies.
How long can you keep hot chocolate bombs?
Keep these stored in an airtight container in a cool, dry place for up to 2 weeks.
These can be frozen and stored if you don’t plan on drinking hot chocolate right away.
How To Use Hot Chocolate Bombs
When you’re ready to make your hot chocolate bomb, place the ball in a mug on its seam. Pour steaming, piping hot milk on the seam to help it open and reveal the contents inside!
Here’s how the hot cocoa bomb looks when it’s melted, mixed, and ready to drink!
Hot Chocolate Bombs
- Semi sphere silicone mold
- Small piping bags or ziploc baggies
- Frying pan (optional)
- 1 cup chocolate
- 1 package cocoa mix
- marshmallows large cut in half or mini
- crushed candy optional
- Put a plate in the freezer.
- Melt chocolate in a microwaveable bowl on high for in 30 second intervals until its smooth.
- Use a spoon to drop a dollop (about 1 tablespoon) into the first cavity of the silicone mold.
- Use the back of the spoon to coat the mold completely. Wipe away any excess chocolate.
- Freeze for 10-15 mins.
- Remove the plate and the mold from the freezer. Carefully remove each half sphere from the mold and set them on the now cold plate.
- Spoon in 2 spoonfuls of cocoa mix and marshmallows into 3 of the half spheres.
- Using a hot plate or frying pan, melt the the edges of the remaining empty sphere. This will be the top part . Immediately attach to the bottom half of the chocolate bomb.
- Decorate the hot chocolate bomb with drizzled chocolate and crushed peppermint candy.
How To Use Hot Chocolate Bombs
- When you’re ready to use your hot chocolate bomb, place the ball on its seam in a mug.
- Pour steaming, piping hot milk on the seam to help it open and reveal the contents inside.
- Stir well to mix completely and enjoy!
Be sure to save this on Pinterest!