As soon as the temperature drops or the holiday season starts, you’ll want to make these hot chocolate spoons. Perfect for diy gifts, or a fun family activity, these chocolate covered spoons are the best way to enjoy your favorite cool weather drink.
What You Need To Make Hot Chocolate Spoons
Spoons- I used these cute wooden spoons, but you can use any spoon you’d like. Popsicle sticks will also work for this too, if you like hot chocolate on a stick.
Peppermint candy-You can use crushed candy canes or the striped peppermint candy that’s individually wrapped. I used a food processor to get my hard candy into little pieces but you could also use a heavy skillet, rolling pin, or small hammer.
Chocolate-Of course you’ll need the star of the show here, chocolate. I used the Ghirardelli Melting Wafers for this recipe, but I’ve seen hot chocolate spoons made with melted chocolate chips or chocolate bars. Pick your preference based on what you like or your diet. There are keto-friendly chocolate chips, stevia sweetened, dark chocolate, etc.
How To Make Hot Chocolate Spoons Without A Mold
If you don’t have a mold or don’t want to purchase one you are in luck! We are making these spoons with a super easy method.
First, crush your peppermint.
Next, warm your chocolate up in a microwave safe bowl for 30 seconds. Stir and then repeat warming on 30 second intervals.
Grab your spoons and dip them in the chocolate. After dipping them, they are laying flat on a baking sheet covered with wax paper.
After a 5 minute cooling period, we will double dip the spoons and let them cool in the fridge again.
They get more one dip into the chocolate and then they’re topped with the peppermint candy.
How do you use a hot chocolate spoon?
Once you’re ready to have your cup of hot chocolate, it’s very easy to use the spoon:
Warm 8 ounces or 1 cup of your favorite milk up to a very hot temperature, almost boiling. Use your hot chocolate spoon to stir the milk. This turns your spoon into a homemade hot chocolate stirrer!
If you like a richer hot chocolate, use 6 ounces of milk instead of the full cup.
Makes a great gift idea
Hot chocolate spoons make an easy Christmas gift or stocking stuffer. Since they are so simple to make, you could make a large batch of spoons. Pass them out to your coworkers, neighbors, teachers. You could even use them as a party favor at holiday events.
If you want to try different toppings for some more variety here are some suggestions:
Salted caramel drizzle
Coarse sea salt
Spices like nutmeg or cinnamon
White chocolate or peanut butter chocolate chips
How long do these last?
As long as you store your hot chocolate spoons in an airtight container at room temperature, you should be able to use them for up to two months!
Don't forget to pin this!
Peppermint Hot Chocolate Spoons
- Food processor (optional)
- Baking sheet
- Wax paper
- 12 spoons
- 10 pieces peppermint candy
- 1.5 cups chocolate melting wafers
- Start by putting the peppermint candy into a food processor and pulse it until it is in fine pieces. If you do not have a food processor you can also put the peppermint candy in a bag and crush it with a rolling pin. Then, prepare a baking sheet by covering it in wax paper.
- Put 1 cup of chocolate wafers into a microwave safe bowl and microwave it for 30 seconds. Take it out of the microwave and stir it, then put it back in for 30 more seconds.
- Dip each spoon in the melted chocolate and shake the excess off back into the bowl. Place the spoons on the wax paper and put them in the refrigerator for 5 minutes to set. Repeat this step one more time so that there are 2 layers of chocolate coating each spoon.
- Melt the other ½ cup of chocolate wafers in the microwave for 30 seconds. Then, dip each spoon in the melted chocolate and shake the excess off. This time when you place the spoons on the wax paper you will sprinkle the crushed peppermint on top of them. Let them set in the refrigerator for 5 more minutes.
- Now they are ready to be mixed with 1 cup of hot milk for a delicious hot chocolate!