Craving chicken parmesan but trying to watch your carb intake? Try this Instant Pot Low Carb Chicken Parm recipe for a healthier meal that tastes just as good as the traditional version, if not even better!
Is chicken parmesan one of your favorite foods? You might love the taste of breaded chicken with tomato sauce and plenty of cheese. However, one thing you probably do not like about the dish is how carb-heavy it is for you.
When you want a healthier, lighter alternative that will satisfy your craving for the delicious chicken parm, this Instant Pot Low Carb Chicken Parm recipe is just what you need. It is the perfect recipe to make when you want a hearty and nutritious lunch or dinner for yourself and the family.
You will enjoy quite a few things about this recipe. The Instant Pot Low Carb Chicken Parm is simple enough to prepare because you will get to make it right in your Instant Pot, which significantly reduces cook time.
The recipe is easy to follow and requires some of the simplest ingredients. It is a low-carb dish that you will love, but even your children will enjoy this meal. Who knew that eating healthy could taste this great? When you need a quick yet nutritious meal, this can become your new go-to recipe!
What to Use to Make the Instant Pot Low Carb Chicken Parmesan
Make the Instant Pot Low Carb Chicken Parm in less than 30 minutes when you have these ingredients:
- Boneless Chicken Breast. Use boneless chicken breast to create this chicken parm recipe. Buying boneless means not having to worry about biting into any bones while you enjoy this dish!
- Nature’s Seasoning. Add flavor to your chicken breast by coating it with some of this seasoning mix of onion, garlic, salt, and pepper. Alternatively, you could use salt and pepper with Italian seasoning.
- Marinara Sauce. You will need the perfect marinara sauce for this recipe. You can make your own or use premade jarred, sugar free marinara sauce that you enjoy.
- Minced Basil. Give your meal even more flavor with a touch of fresh minced basil.
- Mozzarella and Parmesan Cheese. Use a combination of shredded and grated cheese to provide the perfect cheesy coating over your chicken.
You will also need olive oil or cooking spray. If you want to have fewer calories in this dish, using cooking spray is ideal. It works as the perfect substitute for olive oil.
How to Quickly Make the Instant Pot Low Carb Chicken Parm
Preparing the Instant Pot Low Carb Chicken Parm is a lot easier than it sounds. Use the saute mode on your Instant Pot to cook the seasoned chicken breast lightly with a bit of olive oil or cooking spray.
When you notice the chicken is lightly cooked on both sides, you can remove it from the Instant Pot and add in your tomato sauce with additional ingredients, including the garlic and fresh basil.
Place the chicken breasts into the sauce, cook in the Instant Pot for 10 minutes, and then press the valve to release the lid.
Open the cover, add your cheese and extra basil, and then use the warm setting to melt the cheese over the chicken for the next five minutes or so. Can you believe it is that easy to make the Instant Pot Low Carb Chicken Parm?
Can You Freeze the Instant Pot Low Carb Chicken Parm?
After you prepare the Instant Pot Low Carb Chicken Parm, you can always store leftovers in your refrigerator or the freezer. When you keep your portions in the freezer, for example, they will last a lot longer.
So, if you would like to have some of the chicken parm for lunch in a week or two, your best bet is to place the chicken in an airtight container and add it to your freezer after labeling it with the specific date that you made it.
However, if you plan on eating your leftovers within a day or two of preparing this dish, put them right in the fridge to keep them fresh.
Are There Ways to Substitute Some of the Different Chicken Parmesan Ingredients?
You can substitute different ingredients when you want. While the recipe calls for parmesan and mozzarella cheese, you can use a blend of your favorite cheeses. Some people like eating their chicken parm with parmesan, ricotta, and pecorino romano.
You can use additional seasonings for your chicken breast, too. Garlic and herb or Italian seasoning is a popular choice for those preparing chicken parm.
Unlike traditional chicken parm recipes, this recipe does not include breaded chicken, but that helps reduce the number of carbs in the dish.
What to Eat With the Low Carb Chicken Parmesan
There are several ways to enjoy the Instant Pot Low Carb Chicken Parm after cooking it. You can add it to a keto bread roll and eat it like a sandwich.
If you prefer to eat your chicken parm with a fork, place it over your favorite pasta with a bit of extra marinara sauce and enjoy. Because you may be concerned about consuming too many carbs, you can always eat the chicken parm over zucchini noodles or spaghetti squash to keep the carbs at a minimum.
Flavorful steamed or roasted vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower, carrots are also a good addition to this meal too.
What Is the Best Way to Reheat the Instant Pot Low Carb Chicken Parm?
When you need to reheat your food because you have leftovers, there are three simple ways to reheat it.
You can put it in a microwave-safe container, place it in the microwave with a teaspoon of butter, and heat it for about 30-60 seconds to warm it up.
If you do not like microwaving your foods, you can place your leftovers on a baking tray and put it in the oven to bake until warm.
When you want to heat it a bit faster and do not want to wait for the oven to get warm, you can add it to a skillet and reheat it for a few minutes to make it taste like it just came out of the Instant Pot all over again.
Is Chicken Parm unhealthy?
The traditional version of this dish does involve a coating with flour and breadcrumbs. If you are following a low carb diet, I have two suggestions to make a healthier version of this meal.
You can avoid frying the chicken in oil and you can also skip the coating as we did with this recipe.
Low Carb Chicken Parmesan
- Instant pot
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 boneless chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp Nature’s Seasoning
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1.5 cups marinara sauce
- 1.5 tbsp fresh minced basil divided
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- 3 tbsp parmesan cheese grated
- Turn your instant pot onto sauté mode. Once hot, pour in your vegetable oil. Add the chicken breasts to your pot. You don’t want to leave them in too long, you are just lightly sautéing them until they cook on the outside. Once slightly cooked on each side, remove and set aside.
- Add the tomato sauce, garlic, and 1 tbsp fresh basil to your instant pot.
- Add the chicken breasts back to the pot and cover them in the sauce.
- Cook in your instant pot on high for 10 minutes. Once that time is done, manually release pressure by releasing the valve.
- On top of each chicken breast, place the mozzarella cheese, followed by the Parmesan cheese, and the remaining basil. Put the lid back on your instant pot continuing to keep it on warm setting and allow the cheese to melt for about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Transfer to a plate and enjoy!
Dont forget to save this to your Pinterest board for easy meal ideas!