Prepare the most adorable and tastiest hot chocolate bombs for your loved ones. Use this Unicorn Hot Chocolate Bomb recipe to help you get started. Once you make these chocolate bombs, you can hand them out as gifts for the holiday season or enjoy them for yourself!
You may have noticed that hot chocolate bombs are becoming increasingly popular. Now that people have discovered them, they genuinely enjoy adding them to their favorite hot liquid to enjoy a cup of delicious hot chocolate.
If you love these chocolate treats, you can learn how to make a Unicorn Hot Chocolate Bomb consisting of chocolate, marshmallows, and more to create something flavorful and adorable.
DIY Unicorn Hot Chocolate Bombs
You should make these treats for quite a few reasons. If you have children at home, they will love getting involved in the process of preparing these delicious treats.
It is fun to customize them using different types of melting chocolates, marshmallows, and candies. Each person in the household can make their unicorn bomb to add to a hot cup of water or milk.
Besides making them as a family to do something fun and enjoyable, you can create these treats to hand out as gifts. If you add them to a box and wrap them, they make for the perfect treats to give to family and friends throughout the holiday season.
It is a great way to make sure you can get something for everyone on your list without spending too much money.
If you are interested in a regular hot chocolate bomb, I have that diy recipe as well!
How To Make A Unicorn Hot Chocolate Bomb
There are a few crucial ingredients needed to make the Unicorn Bomb treats. You should have these items ready to use:
- Almond Bark. Almond bark is excellent to use for these treats because it has such a great taste and melts quickly, but you can also use your favorite candy melts or candy coating if you would like to do so.
- Candy Food Coloring. You will use the candy food coloring to change the color of the almond bark or candy melts.
- Cocoa Mix. Choose your favorite cocoa mix that will get added to the center of these treats. Any brand will do!
- Sprinkles or Crushed Candies. Use your favorite sprinkles and crushed candies to prepare these treats.
- Mini Marshmallows. Do not forget the marshmallows. They are a must-have when making hot chocolate bombs.
The Equipment You Should Have at Home to Make the Unicorn Bomb
Not only do you need the right ingredients, but you should also have some essential equipment. These are some of the items you should have:
- Bowls. Use bowls of different sizes for melting chocolate and mixing ingredients.
- Giant Muffin Cups. Using the large muffin cups is the perfect way to hold the shape for your Unicorn Bomb treats.
- Cavity Half Spheres. You will use these half spheres to create both sides of the chocolate bomb.
- Small Piping Bags. Use small piping bags to add a chocolate drizzle to your treats. If you do not have piping bags, you can use Ziploc baggies instead.
You will also need scissors and a hot plate or frying pan. You may already have these essential items at home.
What Types of Chocolate Can You Use?
When creating the Unicorn Bomb, you can use any melting chocolate or almond bark that you prefer.
You can choose from white chocolate, milk chocolate, and dark chocolate options.
While these are the standard chocolate flavors, other options may be available, including mint chocolate, raspberry chocolate, and caramel chocolate.
Consider looking at the different flavor options and then deciding which ones you would like to use when creating your tasty hot chocolate bomb treats.
What Types of Candies Taste Best?
When adding candies to your Unicorn Bomb, it all comes down to what you like most. Sprinkles and mini chocolate chip morsels are excellent choices, but there are dozens of other types of candies that will taste good with these bombs.
Some of the best options include crushed peppermints, crushed chocolate malt balls, rainbow candy-coated chocolate chips, and even crushed chocolate wafers. The addition of candies to these chocolate bomb treats offers more flavor and a slight crunch.
The Best Liquids to Use When Melting Your Unicorn Bomb
Not sure what to use when you want to melt your Unicorn Bomb and enjoy a cup of hot chocolate? You have plenty of options.
Traditionally, most people will add the hot cocoa mix to a hot cup of water or cow’s milk. However, if you do not want to use water and cannot consume cow’s milk, you can melt your Unicorn Bomb in a hot cup of almond milk, oat milk, or soy milk.
Helpful Tips to Know When Making a Unicorn Bomb
There are a few helpful tips to know before you get started with preparing these tasty Unicorn Bomb treats, such as:
- Be careful when using almond bark. It is great to use because it melts quickly, but that means it will burn faster, so you do need to keep a watchful eye on it when using it. It would be best if you stirred it every 30 seconds to keep it from burning.
- Avoid using liquid food coloring because it does not mix well with the melted candy. You should use gel color to avoid running into any issues.
- Make sure you apply plenty of chocolate to the rims of both spheres because you need them to stick to one another to create the hot chocolate bomb. If you do not put enough of the melted chocolate on the rims, both pieces will not stick well, causing your hot chocolate bomb to break before you get a chance to use it.
Tips For Joining Hot Chocolate Bombs Halves Together
- If you want to avoid using melted chocolate in a piping bag when sticking both sides of the chocolate bomb together, you can heat a frying pan, quickly place the rim on it to get the edge to melt just a tad, and then stick it to the perimeter of the other sphere.
There are 3 ways to do this:
- Use a frying pan. Heat the frying pan and remove it from the heat. While the pan is still hot, carefully melt the rim of the sphere and immediately attach it to one of the bottom halves.
- Hot plate method: Boil a large pot of hot water and add a small plate to it. The plate will hold the heat without the risk of burning yourself. Safely remove the hot plate from the water using tongs. Use the hot plate to melt the rim of one of the spheres. Be sure to dry the plate fully before using it, as water seizes chocolate.
- Pipe melted chocolate: Use leftover melted chocolate. Add to a piping bag or small ziploc bag. Cut a small hole at the end of the piping bag (or one corner of the ziploc bag). Squeeze chocolate around the rim of the bottom sphere and simply place the other sphere on top. Using your finger, smooth the chocolate out. You can leave it as is or add sprinkles or crushed candies for more decoration!
Unicorn Hot Chocolate Bombs
- 1 cup white candy coating or candy melts in the color of your choosing
- Candy food colors or Gel Food Colors
- Cocoa Mix of your choice
- Sprinkles or Crushed Candies
- Marshmallows or rainbow marshmallows
- First, place a plate in the freezer.
- Melt chocolate in a microwaveable bowl on high for 45 seconds. Remove from microwave and stick a spoon in the chocolate to see if it’s beginning to melt.
- Continue to warm up chocolate in 30 second intervals stirring between each time. This could take 3-4 intervals.
- Remove the bowl from the microwave and stir the chocolate once more when it's mostly melted, heat for 15 additional seconds and stir until all lumps are gone and the chocolate is smooth.
- Use a spoon to drop a dollop into the first cavity of the silicone mold. Make sure the cavity mold is completely covered.
- Wipe away any excess chocolate. Place the filled mold into the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Prepare your set up for the content inside of the bombs and your large muffin liners.
- Remove plate and mold from the freezer.
- Carefully remove each half sphere from the mold and set them on the now cold plate.
- Select the 3 most sturdy spheres and those will become the bottom of the unicorn bomb.
- Spoon in 2 spoonfuls of cocoa mix.
- Add your surprise (marshmallows, sprinkles, crushed candies)
- Connect the two ends of the sphere together.